(VII-Selection Policy, approved 10-8-1998)
1. The library recognizes that some materials are controversial and that any given item may offend some patrons. Selection of materials will not be made on the basis of anticipated approval or disapproval but solely on the basis of the principles set forth in this policy.
2. Library materials will not be marked or identified to show approval or disapproval of their contents, and no library materials will be sequestered, except to protect it from injury or theft.
3. Responsibility for reading and the use of the library by children rests with their parents or legal guardians. At no time will library staff act in loco parentis. Selection of library materials will not be inhibited by the possibility that they may come into the possession of children.
4. Patrons requesting that an item be withdrawn from the collection may complete a "Request for Reconsideration of Materials" form. Once the form has been fully completed and returned to the Library Director, the inquiry will be placed on the agenda of the next regular meeting of the Library Board of Trustees. Their decision will be final.
Requests for Reconsideration of Library Materials Form
(This form may be printed out and returned to the library)
Title of item __________________________________Book__Magazine__Other__
Author of item ________________________________
Request initiated by___________________________________________
Do you represent
____An organization (name)____________________________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
1. Did you read or view the entire work?__________What parts did you read or view?
2. To what in the work do you object? (Be specific; cite pages, sections etc.)
3. What do you believe is the theme of this work?
4. In your opinion, is there anything good about this work?
5. What do you feel might be the result of reading or viewing this work?
6. What would you like the library to do about this material?
____Do not allow my child to check the material(s) out
____Take it to the Library Board for reconsideration
____Withdraw it from the collection
7. Which title would you suggest as a substitute?____________________________